Saturday, June 02, 2007

A vegan Reuben.

I was in the bookstore last week and scouring the used cookbooks for something interesting. The restaurant next door (Monty's) has a cookbook and I picked up a copy and thumbed through it. I didn't really need a vegetarian meatloaf recipe or anything, but I was curious about a couple of my favorite veggie dishes. (The restaurant is not exclusively vegetarian, they just offer decent veggie selections.)

Sadly, the recipe in the book for the "Sheldon" (aka vegetarian Reuben) listed honey as an ingredient in the marinade. This was a little bit heart-breaking, so I resolved to marinate my own tofu, sans honey, and make my own Reuben.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Basically I marinated slices of drained firm tofu in soy sauce, a dash of vegan worcestershire, a lot of minced ginger and garlic, pepper, a little sugar, and water. After a night in the fridge I sauteed them in a non-stick pan for a few minutes, grilled a little pumpernickel/rye with Earth Balance, and layered it together with some tomato slices, sauerkraut, and Vegenaise.

It was quite tasty, although I think I've had my fill of Reubens for the moment.

2 comments:

Tamara said...

Sounds good! Agave nectar makes a nice honey replacement. :-)

Heather said...

No, I wish. I just read the labels on every dang loaf in the store for sketchy ingredients. Next time I'll aim to bake my own.